Today’s date is a significant one for me – it is Gram’s birthday, first and foremost. She would have been 95 today. If she was still alive, the McKelvie clan would have gathered together to celebrate with a nice dinner, and, more importantly, a nice dessert. I suppose we could have gotten together anyway, and had a celebration in her honor… but it’s not the same without her.
In other news, four years ago today, I started this blog!
Today was a good day for me – perhaps Gram was somehow guiding my hand, but I actually did everything on my to-do list! I made an appointment with a career coach, and an appointment with a nutritionist, AND I took care of my dad’s big birthday gift which we will present to him in a few weeks. I think I’ll take the rest of the week off.
Out of curiosity, I googled today’s date and came across a page which lists everything that has happened on September 25th… here it is, if you want to look for yourself: http://www.onthisday.com/events/september/25
Some highlights include:
- 1492 Crewman on Pinta sights “land”-a few weeks early (look out Native Americans…)
- 1780 Benedict Arnold joins the British (traitor!)
- 1836 HMS Beagle anchors at St Michael (aww, Darwin)
- 1878 British physician Dr. Charles Drysdale warns against the use of tobacco in a letter to The Times newspaper in one of the earliest public health announcements on the dangers of smoking (damn! and people STILL smoke.)
- 1919 US president Woodrow Wilson suffers a breakdown in Colorado, his health never recovers (I didn’t even know this happened!)
- 1926 Henry Ford announces 8 hour, 5-day work week (Dammit Henry… couldn’t you have gone with 5 hours per day, or perhaps a 3-day work week? I have hobbies!)
- 1965 Children find trunk with corpse in Amsterdam canal (WTF.)
- 1974 US performs nuclear test at Nevada Test Site
- 1974 Scientists first report that freon gases from aerosol sprays are destroying the ozone layer (1974 was a bad year…)
- 1981 Sandra Day O’Connor sworn in as 1st female supreme court justice (woot!)
- 1993 Action TV series “Walker, Texas Ranger” starring Chuck Norris debuts on CBS
- 1997 “ER” is performed live on TV (I remember that!)
There’s a ton more events on the actual page… a lot of it is related to sports and politics, so bleh.
Before I sign off, I’ll mention that I have been working on a post entitled “Losing my Religion” where I get into all the things that happened on my way out of Christadelphia. It’s been interesting for me to look back at everything that happened, and now that it’s been more than a decade, I can actually see everything so much more clearly. I almost wish I could travel back in time and rescue myself much earlier… but I suppose that I needed to go through all that ish in order to become the person I am now. It is also draining to rehash all those feelings and emotions I went through. It will probably end up being a series of posts, otherwise it will be so long and unbearable that no one will read the whole thing.
Alright – it’s off to bed for me… I promise to share more about the career coaching thing too, once I have more to share. 🙂
2 thoughts on “September 25th”
I know that it is so difficult to lose a beloved grandma! She certainly looks like a sweet lady from the photos.
One more thing happened on 9/25 … it is when our friend called to let us know that our sweet, precious, mellow yellow labrador, Gabby was born in 2000. We picked her at Thanksgiving and she gave us 13 wonderful years. So,of course, FB had her pics pop up in My Memories ’cause I always posted a happy birthday Gabs pic.Sure miss her. Sammy is a nice dog and we love but he will never be a Gabby. I was trying to see if i could attach a pic but i can’t figure it out.
Looking forward to your next bloG!
Hope you are well!
Aww, yes I remember your photos of Gabby and I know how much you loved her. ❤️❤️
I am well- hope you are too! Say hi to Uncle Bill for me.